Water System Operator
Applications are only accepted via our website. This positions is required to work an on-call rotation and be available for emergency call-ins.
$24.02 - $25.28 per hour under our training provision
Bring your CDL license to Portland Water District, and become out next Water System Operator and receive a sign-on bonus.
- Sign- on bonus of$3,000 for newly hired Water Systems Operators who already have their CDL license
- Sign-on Bonus of $2,000 for newly hired Water Systems Operators who already have their CDL permit (acquired before 2/6/22)!
- CDL sign-on bonus is paid monthly within the first five months of employment.
Purpose/Customer Impact: Perform a broad range of tasks to ensure proper operation and maintenance of the water system and to provide support for the Operations Department. Assist others with the completion of skilled tasks to develop knowledge and experience with the activities, equipment and regulations required in all areas of the water system.
Reports to: Transmission/Distribution Supervisor, Distribution System Forepersons, Chief Operator Water Treatment Plant, Utility Services Supervisor; depending on assignment
Direct Reports: None
Independent Action: Limited direct supervision
- Learn the basic components of the water system, including; source, pumping, treatment, transmission, storage, distribution, metering and cross connection
- Perform activities relevant to the day-to-day operation and maintenance of water infrastructure
- Installation, operation and repair of water mains, valves, hydrants, services and other related assets. Also load and transport various materials
- Assist with operation and maintenance tasks at treatment, pumping and storage facilities
- Assist with locating of buried infrastructure, investigating leaks, meter installation and repair, flushing, hydrant pumping, and backflow testing
- May assist with the operation, maintenance and repair of wastewater infrastructure
- Recognize with the importance of customer relations, water quality and water sampling
- Learn the basics of the District’s asset information systems
- This position may be assigned to Transmission/ Distribution, Water Treatment/ Systems, Utility Services and AMaP
- Will be in the on-call rotation when scheduled in the Transmission/Distribution Area. May be assigned to special shifts (nights) to gain experience.
Essential Job Functions:
Standing, sitting, bending, reaching, climbing, crawling, squatting, kneeling, twisting, driving, walking, lifting(max 75lbs), visual accuracy, clear verbal and written communication, repetitive arm/shoulder use, keyboard usage
Minimum Requirements: An individual must be able to perform Essential Job Functions and Accountabilities satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent.
- Possess a valid State of Maine Driver’s License, with a clean driving record.
- Obtain a State of Maine Class A or B (CDL) Driver’s license within 6 months of assignment to the Transmission / Distribution area
- Complete a apprenticeship program which includes 6 months of training in each operational sub-department of Water Services and an assignment to AMaP, within 2 years, as schedule allows.
- Obtain Class I Water Treatment and Class I Water Distribution Licenses within 2 years
- Ability to read and comprehend installation, operations, and maintenance manuals for vehicles, tools and equipment.
- Ability to function in a team environment, with associated positive communication and problem solving skills and the commitment to share skills and ideas with colleagues.
- Basic computer skills including knowledge of Windows, Word for Windows and E-mail applications.
- Perform Essential Accountabilities in accordance with all Federal, State and District safety regulations.
- Ability to meet approved physical and medical standards.
- Perform other related duties, as required.