Thank you for your interest in touring one of Portland Water District’s facilities. Tours are conducted by plant operators and laboratory scientists. Please read the guidelines and tour descriptions and then submit your request via our online form. These criteria ensure a safe and educational experience for both your students and our staff. You will be contacted as soon as your tour is approved.
Guidelines for All Facilities
- Due to the complexity of content covered, tours at any facility are provided for students in high school and above. Middle school groups will be considered if their course of study is directly related to treatment processes.
- You may request a starting time from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. All tours must end by 3:00 p.m.
- Tour requests must be placed a minimum of one month in advance.
- The maximum number of students on a tour is 20 (excluding chaperones/teachers). Two chaperones per every 10 students are required. The maximum middle school group size is 15, plus a minimum of two chaperones.
- Each facility can accommodate up to two tours per month. Requests are fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis. If your request exceeds this limit, your tour will be scheduled for the next available time.
- Bags, including purses and backpacks, are not permitted.
- All adults are required to sign in upon arrival, and must bring a photo ID.
This facility treats drinking water for a fifth of Maine’s population. The tour covers ozone treatment, UV disinfection, and water quality tests conducted in the laboratory.
Tours of this facility take two hours and are offered year-round, Monday through Friday.
Our second largest wastewater treatment facility offers the opportunity to learn about the positive impacts wastewater treatment has on the environment. The facility size allows students to view wastewater processes in a direct way.
Tours of this facility are provided Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Tours take 1.5 hours and are offered April through November (closed in the winter).
Tours at Maine’s largest wastewater treatment facility include both the facility and the laboratory, and are considered for students in higher learning institutions on a case-by-case basis. Due to staffing limitations and a simpler plant configuration, tours at our Westbrook/Gorham facility are recommended for most groups. If you would like a tour at East End, please submit your request in the form below and include details about your preference of this facility.