Joe DiPietro Scholarship
The Joseph A. DiPietro Memorial Scholarship was established in 2003 in memory of respected businessman and longtime Portland Water District Trustee, Joe DiPietro. Joseph A. DiPietro served on the Portland Water District Board from 1988 to 2003 and owned DiPietro’s Sandwich Shop on Cumberland Avenue in Portland. He was very active in the community and committed to youth, family, and education. When he wasn’t working at his store or representing local residents on the Portland Water District Board of Trustees, he could be found volunteering through the Boys and Girls Club, St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church, or the Lions Club.
The scholarship will be awarded to an individual in a Portland Water District member community who demonstrates financial need, academic excellence, a commitment to the community, and a desire to improve public health and the environment.
- Students must demonstrate financial need.
- Students must live in a PWD member community (Portland, South Portland, Westbrook, Windham, Gorham, Raymond, Cumberland, Falmouth, Scarborough, Cape Elizabeth).
- Students must have a declared major that is related to PWD’s mission to protect public health and the environment (e.g., environmental studies, sciences, engineering, medical, dental, trades, public administration).
- Preference will be given to student(s):
- that demonstrate educational excellence through GPA, SAT, academic honors, etc.
- that demonstrate a commitment to the community through volunteer efforts.
- that are the first in their family to attend college.
- Scholarship will be given on a one-time basis; not "renewable.
- that attends or plans to attend an accredited college or university (University of Southern Maine, University of New England, Southern Maine Community College) in PWD’s member communities.
- Funds must be used towards tuition.
The $1,500 scholarship will be awarded annually to a deserving student. The scholarship committee, a sub committee of the Board of Trustees, will review applications in the summer and award the scholarship in September. To apply, students must complete the application by May 15.
Contact the public relations office if you have further questions.