How can I conserve water in the bathroom?
Two thirds of the water used in the average home is in the bathroom, mostly for flushing toilets, showers, and baths.
- Turn off the water when you are not using it. Don't let it run while you brush your teeth or shave.
- Flush the toilet less often. Put used tissues, trash, hair, paper towels, etc. in the wastebasket instead of flushing them.
- Fix leaks and drips. This is often simply a matter of changing a washer.
- Retrofit older plumbing fixtures with flow-reducing devices.
- Take shorter showers. Less than 5 minutes is adequate, any longer is recreation.
- Take baths. A partially filled tub uses less water than a short shower.