Thank you for your interest in touring one of the Portland Water District’s facilities. Heightened security has prompted stricter guidelines and restrictions for tours. Please read the following tour guidelines and restrictions and submit your request for a tour. You will be contacted as soon as your tour is approved. Thank you for making the tour an educational, safe, and secure experience for everyone.
Sebago Lake Water Treatment Facility
Tour this facility and learn about powerful ozone treatment and UV disinfection.
Tours of this facility are offered year-round and are conducted by plant operators and laboratory scientists. They are offered on the first and third Thursdays of each month on a first come, first served basis. Tours begin at 9:30 a.m. and last approximately two hours. Due to the complexity of the content covered, tours are recommended for students in high school and higher learning institutions. Both the facility and the laboratory are featured on the tour.
Wastewater Treatment Facilities: Westbrook/Gorham and East End
These are our largest of the four wastewater treatment plants. Tour this facility and learn about the positive impacts wastewater treatment has on the environment.
Tours of the Wastewater Facilities are offered on the second Wednesday and fourth Thursday from April through November on a first come, first served basis. Much of the processes are outside, so winter tours would be extremely limited. All tours last approximately two hours and feature both the facility and the laboratory.
GUIDELINES & RESTRICTIONS
- A tour request form must be completed, EACH time a group visits a facility.
- Tours should include no more than 20 people.
- There must be one adult chaperone for every ten students.
- All adults will be required to sign in and show ID.
- Backpacks, purses, camera bags and other carried bags, cameras, and video recorders are not allowed in the facilities.
- All tour leaders and accompanying adults must read and sign a visitor’s agreement before entering the facility.
- Tour participants are required to stay with the group.
- Running is not allowed in the facilities.
- Participants must keep hands away from all equipment, instruments, and controls.