Equipment Operator - Water Services
Hourly rate $25.47 probationary rate - $26.81 regular rate
Purpose/Customer Impact: Assist transmission and distribution crews in excavation, main installation, back-filling and loading operations using hydraulic crawler excavators.
Reports to: Transmission/Distribution Supervisor Direct Reports: None
Interrelationships: Regular contact with construction crews and supervisory personnel.
Independent Action: Operates under direct supervision
- Safely operate backhoes in opening trenches, laying pipe, back-filling and loading operations.
- Perform preventive and light maintenance on assigned equipment.
- Assist construction crews by cooperatively performing labor tasks.
- Diagnose and repair automotive and construction equipment mechanical problems.
- Perform standby duty.
- Perform essential accountabilities in accordance with all Federal, State and District safety regulations.
- Perform other related duties, as required.
Essential Job Functions: Sitting, standing, bending, reaching, climbing, crawling, squatting, kneeling, twisting, driving, walking, lifting(max 75lbs), visual accuracy, clear verbal and written communication, repetitive hand/wrist motion, keyboard usage.
Minimum Requirements: An individual must be able to perform Essential Job Functions and Accountabilities satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent.
- Possess a valid State of Maine Class A Driver’s License, with a clean driving record.
- Possess previous experience repairing automotive and construction equipment, with emphasis on diesel engines and hydraulic circuitry.
- One year of experience in the operation of backhoes and proven experience in the operation of equipment in a pipe-laying construction environment.
- Ability to investigate, adjust and perform necessary maintenance on assigned equipment. Skill in troubleshooting construction equipment.
- Ability to safely and skillfully operate the above noted equipment.
- Ability to read and comprehend operation and maintenance manuals for assigned equipment.
- Ability to function in a team environment, with associated positive communication and problem solving skills and the commitment to share skills and ideas with colleagues.
- Ability to meet approved physical and medical standards.
- Obtain Class I Water Distribution Operator’s License within 24 months of hire.